Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Barra Paradise Part 2

Location:Barra Island
Bait:Live Prawns
Date: 03062010

Met my fellow regulars at changi in the morning to stock up on supplies before our trip. Took the usual bumboat ride to Barra Island and off we set to the usual spot. Weather was scorching hot that day. Nevertheless we carried on our pursuit for the prized barramundi. It was around noon and the sun was high up. Terry and Kimberly left the spot for awhile to get some drinks and left me in-charge of all the rods. As I was busy minding my own business trying to get the heat off my mind, I took a peek at my rod. The line was awkwardly tight with a slight bend at the tip as if I had a snag at the end of the line. I made the decision to give a pump and reel in the line. There was a bit of weight to it but no fight. Expecting a branch or a plastic bag to emerge, instead a decent sized mudcrab was actually the culprit. Unhooked the rather agitated fellow and tied it up. Abt half and hour later and my two other kakis were still not back yet. Once again while minding my own business I could hear a screaming reel coming from one of the rods. "ZzZZZzzzzz!!!!" goes Terry rod as it was bending into a U shape. This was my chance and I dashed to the rod and gave a slight pump. Fish ON!! It was also a fighter. The fish kept swimming left and right before breaking the surface of the water. With no one to assist I had to bend down to the edge of the water and pull the fish on land. Mission accomplished. A healthy 1kg plus Barramundi landed. Called the kakis and they hurriedly made their way to my location to see what all the fuss was about. Took a shot with the prize. My first battle with a wild Barra for 2010. Truly epic!






No comments: